There are numerous electronic health record (EHR) systems for medical offices and healthcare agencies to pick from. As a company that provides revenue cycle management services, ABCS RCM has experience with many different types of EHR or EMR systems.
Every healthcare provider and medical facility has different needs, so for EHRs one size does not fit all. After helping numerous clients select and successfully navigate an EHR system, here is some general advice.
When first selecting an EHR, think about what features do you want and will it continue to fit your practice’s needs in the long-term. For example, some health professionals may desire a system that can integrate with medical billing software and allow continued access, even if they change medical billing software companies. In this way, your practice will always have access to the EHR system as well as your patient data.
Here are a few reasons to switch EHR systems:
- The old system is not compatible with newer operation systems, devices and databases.
- Increase your organization’s overall productivity.
- Provide a better and more organized quality of care for patients.
- Provide a better customer service to your patients.
- Lower operating cost and increase revenue.
Most EHR contracts can be modified to suit the needs of your practice. There are many questions that you should ask the vendor and be prepared to negotiate if necessary.
- Is there free 24/7 tech support?
- Are system-wide software upgrades included?
- Where is the data stored and is it secure?
- Who is liable for a data breach or loss of data?
These are only a few of questions that should be addressed any quality EHR vendor. In the end, pick a product that fits the present and future needs of your practice.
Questions about selecting an EHR/EMR? CONTACT US
Follow us on Twitter @abcsohio
Selecting EHR systems, medical billing